Welcome to the new Globe digital specifications. Our digital advertising formats enable you to deliver high impact and engaging creative across all of our digital properties.
In addition to IAB standard display formats, we provide a range of advanced creative options from large format custom units to responsive full-screen mobile creative.
Need creative inspiration first?
Ready to begin? Let’s go!
Frequently asked questions:
Build your advertising
Globe Digital specifications
Access the technical requirements for advertising in The Globe and Globe Alliance sites
Globe and Mail creative guidelines
The following information represents our baseline requirements. The Globe and Mail adheres to IAB Canada’s specifications, which can be found at iabcanada.com/guidelines
For rich media and/or click-to-expand ad unit creative opportunities, guidelines and best practices, please visit our partner website: celtra.com
Advertising terms and conditions
Overall, your creative must be complementary to the experience and not overpower or distract from the main reason our audience comes to the site, to read and consume our content.
- Cannot interfere with ability of user to read or consume our content. Any expanding/overlay creative is prohibited from using instant mouseover expansions. All overlay creative must have a visible manual close [X] button.
- Cannot replicate our content, otherwise deface, impair, harm or modify images of our content.
- Creative should never mimic our own content style sheets including fonts & backgrounds
- Cannot imply an association or approval of editorial consent with advertising messaging.
- Cannot be overpowering nor excessively distracting.
- Creative must be clearly branded and include a 1 pixel border.
- Colour schemes should be tasteful and complementary to our site’s style.
- No large swatches of colour that overpower and conflict with the style of our site. (ie. Red, …)
- Billboard and Hero units must not use red or dark grey fills which conflict with or imitate the Globe’s brand and navigation colour. Do not use: Red: Hex #DA161 and Grey: Hex #595959.
Use of the Globe and Mail logo
- Use of the Globe logo mark in co-branded campaigns is subject to approval
Globe Alliance sites
Take advantage of our unique ad formats
Many of our Globe Alliance partners offer advertising opportunities that are unique to each of their sites. To explore the detailed creative and technical possibilities, please speak to your Globe representative.
Advanced creative possibilities
With the scope of possibility within digital advertising constantly developing, we are happy to evaluate any concept or idea presented to us by a client that is beyond the technical and creative options shown on our site.
We evaluate all concepts in detail, based on our technical and editorial considerations and work with you to ensure your campaign is delivered both creatively and effectively.
Please contact your Globe representative to discuss your concepts in more detail.
Prepare your advertising
Testing and approvals
- All mobile, rich media or third-party advertising on Globe sites is subject to a minimum of 5 business days testing, before the selected placements will become active.
- Please ensure all creative is fully tested to work in all versions of Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
- All third party served ads must be tested prior to running on globeandmail.com sites.
All ad units are subject to publishers approval based on motion path overlay, animation, length, and/or content of advertising.
Polite download refers to loading content to ad based on user interaction, or post-page content load. Example: a movie trailer loads and plays after a viewer clicks to view within a lightbox ad.
Initial plus subsequent/polite loading includes all progressive video, images and/or HTML.
Larger progressive file size must be arranged with Rich Media vendor in advance.
NOTE: All 3rd-party vendor and polite download costs are paid by Advertiser. We will not host oversize secondary files.
3rd-party creative cannot be changed after review/approvals have been made, and under no circumstances can be changed once campaign is in flight. If creative has to be changed, campaign must be stopped and pulled, and not allowed to continue, pending adjustments and new round of reviews and approvals.
- We reserve the right to halt and pull any campaign, for any reason, at any time, without providing prior notice. An explanation would be immediate once the campaign has been paused.
Deliver your advertising
Delivering your creative
- Please package and deliver all applicable gif/swf/html files within individual Zip files – one for each creative unit to run.
- Please use file names and associated gif files that are similar.
- Attach all associated files to an e-mail and send to both firstname.lastname@example.org AND your Globe representative.
Take the next step.
Get complete information about how our platforms and products will keep you connected to Canada.