On April 3 and 4, The Globe and Mail hosted the Young Lions live judging stage of the competition for the Media and Marketers categories. The top 5 teams presented in front of our esteemed panel of judges, who will then determine the placing teams. The Gold teams will be representing Canada on the global stage at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity taking place June 17-21, 2019.
This year’s brief for the Media and Marketers categories focused on the charity Kids Help Phone, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. Marketers were challenged to invent a big idea (product, service or proposition) for their company’s brand objective and for the strategic objectives of Kids Help Phone. For Media, they were tasked to grow the charity’s youth interactions by 2021 by focusing on Kids Help Phone’s five priorities.
The semi-finalists in the Marketers category are (in no particular order):
- Telus—Pulse Check
- Kevin Degruijter, Brand Manager, Bud Light, Labatt Breweries of Canada
- Alyssa Sudac, Senior Marketing Communications Manager, TELUS
- First Aid Kit—Band-Aid
- Keir Sullivan, Assistant Brand Manager, Tylenol, Johnson & Johnson
- Shayne Gelbard, Senior Assistant Brand Manager, Johnson & Johnson
- Gatorade G-Code
- Christian Alaimo, Marketing Manager, PepsiCo Canada
- Jacob MacDonald, Marketing Manager, PepsiCo Canada
- Doritos Difference
- Alexander Levy, Assistant Marketing Manager, PepsiCo Canada
- Alannah Lipsey, Associate Marketing Manager, PepsiCo Canada
- Basketball Diaries- Raptors
- Michelle Skea, Brand Manager, Labatt Breweries of Canada
AalumJaffer, Manager, Strategy, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
The semi-finalists in the Media category are (in no particular order):
- Drop the “Phone”: (they’re not using it anyway)
- Kenon Mak, Senior Manager, Digital Investment, Mindshare Canada
- Laura Donaldson, Director, Marketing Services, Mindshare Canada
- The Venting Machine
- Anne Sophie Vachon, Strategist, Touché!
- Antoine Nguyen, Media Strategist, Touché!
- Call/Text 6-1-1
- Marios Syntetos, Planner, Cossette Media
- Lukas Levert, Media Planner, Cossette Media
- Imaginary Friend
- Alessia Grosso, Media Manager, Cossette Media
- Robert Ebach, Programmatic Strategist, Jungle Media
- Are you Okay?
- Stephanie Landicho, Account Manager, Mediacom Canada
- Makhlouf Mohamed, Jr. Strategist, Mediacom Canada
This year’s Competitions reached a record-high with 411 teams registered to compete across the five Competitions – with 54 teams registered in the Marketers category and 150 in Media. The placing teams will be revealed on Wednesday, April 24 at the CMDC Summit.