As part of this summer’s Lab351 (The Globe’s technology and business incubator), a study was commissioned to determine the size, scope and demographic of the Canadian podcast audience. The goal was to define and deepen the understanding of Canadian podcast listeners to support future editorial programming and advertiser interest and education.
Here are some of the highlights from the research:
- 24% of Canadians listen to podcasts on a monthly basis
- Nearly 10 million Canadian adults have listened to a podcast in the last year
- That number is growing. More than 70% of respondents started listening in the last 3 years with 41% starting in the past year alone.
- Respondents primarily listen to podcasts to be entertained, hear interesting stories and learn something new.
- There’s a clear appetite for Canadian content, with 47% of respondents wanting to know more about what Canadian podcasts are available.
- Also, four of the top 10 podcasts respondents listened to over July/August were Canadian.
For advertisers, it is exciting to note that the podcast audience skews younger and engaged. Using Podcasts as part of your marketing plans can provide great value to large brand campaigns. Advertisers can deliver messaging in editorial podcasts with pre- and mid-roll advertising. In addition, creating unique, branded podcasts are a great opportunity to create engaging and influential content that’s aligned with your brand attributes and key messaging.
To learn more about the full study, and to discuss the potential of podcasts for your brand, please contact your Globe representative for more information.